School, Forts, and the Books In Between

"I am so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." -L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

     School is in full swing, and rightly so, for I am learning much. I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to be homeschooled and to learn in the way that I am learning. We have done many fun things the past few weeks. The highlights are visiting a pumpkin patch, biking, running and playing outside. 
     
      I have been going to Youth Group again, which is nice. All of the Fall Feasts began on a Wednesday night this year, and so I had missed about five consecutive youth group meetings.  
  
     Mom has been teaching Penka and Petra to crochet, and for Sukkot, Mom and Dad gave Donka a charming Princess Drawing kit. Ivan and Petra are just finishing soccer for the fall season, at which Ivan especially has excelled. I, for my part, have acquired new slippers. 
     
     I have been wanting badly to work on my book, the tentative name of which is "A Rose," but have had so much to do that last night(Or maybe it was the night before?)was the first time in about a month that I could. Being busy is, as usual, also the reason I have not updated my blog recently. I do not know who all reads this, but as it is mainly to improve my writing skills anyway,  I do not care all that much. If perchance you do keep up with all the posts, my apologies for having taken so long to write something new. 

    Here is an excerpt from "A Rose," also, please comment on what you think that the girl in this part's name should be. 
"...Ella curtsied, surveying the group in her presence. Two or three older ladies sat and looked at her. A twentyish girl with black hair and rosy cheeks smiled at her, and several others about her age looked at her inquiringly. One held a parasol, and the other looked slightly younger, and also looked alike to the ebony haired girl. Both of these two had similar features to one of the older ladies. The black haired girl rose, curtsied, and introduced herself as (_________), and bade them sit down. 
“My, it is such a pleasure to finally meet you, Miss Hawthorne! I have heard so much about you, you know.” She smiled kindly and nodded as if to make the words she spoke more plausible. Ella smiled and returned with a slight raise of the eyebrows. 
“Yes, yes I am sure you have heard many reports from numerous authorities.” Ella gave a significant look in Mrs. Kenninor’s direction. (_____)’s mouth twitched amusedly, and she also glanced in that direction. “Yes, and I have long awaited this meeting to form my own opinion.” Said she, after a pause. 
“Well, it is good to meet someone who doesn't rely on the validity of gossip to form their own opinion on one subject or another, be it a person or a type of tea.” They both laughed. Constance smiled, overhearing some of their conversation. From that exchange, Ella felt that she could understand (_____), and thought so far as to wonder if perhaps she could trust her too. She felt convinced that, if nothing else, she could at least value her company and spend social conversation with her better than with any of the other ladies, her sister excluded, present..." 
     
     For the cover of this book, I am thinking of doing a faded rose in the background, with the silhouette of a girl astride a horse in the front. Tell me if you have any suggestions!

     I have been reading so much old literature that I scarcely remember what a good, engaging novel is(Perhaps a minor exaggeration). So much is this the case that I opened up "Pride and Prejudice" today and read the beginning for about the fifth time and sighed longingly for something that has not been translated from Greek or Latin. Not that I am complaining, for I do love being taught through the old classics(Examples: The Iliad, The Odyssey, or The Aeneid), but I do tire of reading them so rapidly. 
    I shall sign off now, and I hope that this post makes some sense. If not, my apologies. 





                                                       Anwyn and I in Mom's art class



Rocks down by the river

                                                            A pretty sight by the river


    

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Posture of Surrender

July

Coffee and Summer