You're a Cowboy Like Me

 "Never wanted love, just a fancy car."

I have been singing the song, Cowboy Like Me, by Taylor Swift, quite a lot recently. I have found Taylor's latest album, "Evermore," to be filled with good and beautiful songs, and I really especially like Cowboy Like Me. Now the question is, "Why? Since when did I have any appreciation for Taylor's music, of all the music that there is?" I really don't know. I like the melody, I like the Western references, and I like the idea of a love that is not desired, but remains inescapable. This concept of love being a force too strong to reckon with is powerful and beautiful to me. I also like the imagery in the lyrics. I also have a lovely roommate, Abigail, who loves Taylor's music, and being able to discuss the lyrical depths in Taylor's music with her is fascinating to me. 

Music is a funny thing for me. Today someone in class asked me whether I liked country music. I answered, "No, as a general rule, but also, there are many songs that I do like." This prompted me to think about my tastes. I enjoy such a variety of music, that with a few exceptions, I like songs from nearly every genre. 

Now, Taylor is not my favorite artist by any stretch of the imagination. I like her album "Folklore," and a few of her earlier hits, but I'll take a moment now to gush about Sara Bareilles. Sara really has a deep lyrical genius and an ability to weave such applicable topics into beautiful, simple melodies. Often, I have found her lyrics sinking into my soul and helping me process difficult emotions. It takes a good artist to do that. Also, I have found that by singing and playing her music, and especially her song, Manhattan, I have moved people emotionally more than by playing almost any other song or artist. 

I suppose that this blog post can serve as a mini review of music that I like. I'll throw in some more names and top songs from my other favorite artists. There is Sara Groves, a Christian artist who writes beautiful, reflective music. My favorite album of hers is definitely, "Fireflies and Songs." That album has partially shaped the way I look at my own childhood, the concept of marriage, choosing to love people intentionally, and family. Then, there is Josh Garrels, a Christian Indi-folk artist. I love his music, and especially his album, "Love and War and the Sea in Between." His voice is unique, and the poignancy of his lyrics is hard to beat. I especially love his song, Ulysses, which parallels the story of Ulysses, or Odysseus, in mythology, with that of a marriage relationship that longs for emotional restoration. I also love his song, Bread and Wine, which is about the importance of community and sharing life together. That song hits me hard, because it is something that I have longed for and learned to treasure in my own life, and I am keenly aware when it is lacking.

On a similar note, allow me to introduce Michael Card; a Christian artist who writes beautiful worship music. I love all of Michael Card's music, but specifically, he has a song called Basin and the Towel, which emphasizes the importance of community and the love of Christ's Church. This love is not always easy, but it is worthwhile and a beautiful picture of Christ's own love for us as His Church- a sacrificial love that often takes the role of the servant and helps the other. I think it is a beautiful picture, too, of leadership that knows that part of their mission is to serve the people they lead. 

Moving on from Michael Card, I have a soft spot for the album, "The Lonely Runs Both Ways," which is a bluegrass album by Allison Krauss and Union Station. I especially love the song, Gravity, because it reminds me a lot of actual events that have taken place in my life, beginning with leaving home (my old state) at 17. This album is filled with artistry and meaning, and explores the life of a singer and the pain of not finding what you are looking for. 

I love, love, love George Winston, who is a pianist from Montana. He writes beautiful songs and arrangements, and his music is integral to my childhood. If you were just to listen to one album from him, I would recommend his album, "Winter." To give a little taste of how important he is to me, I'll add that I got to see him in concert a year ago, and I cried steadily through the entire show, because it affected me so deeply. 

I also love the old songs and singers, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Paul Anka, and many more. You'll find on my Spotify playlist, too, a selection of Pop, and when you see it, don't ask me to explain myself. I really can't. Sometimes, I am just in the mood for Ed Sheeran or Camilla Cabello. Let me see what else. I like Imagine Dragons, fun. the band, Adele, the list goes on. I have to put a good, good word in for Simon and Garfunkel. 

Musicals are also another big passion of mine. My interest there is extensive. It spans anything from "The Sound of Music" to "Six." I love classical music, Debussy being my favorite, Vivaldi being pretty high on the list, and many more following. 

I won't include any Rock music, except for the mention of Billy Joel, but I will say that I often enjoy listening to it if it is on the radio. Well, that list barely scratches the surface, in some respects, but all this to say, if you want to get to know me better, here is your list. Much love to everyone. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Posture of Surrender

July

Coffee and Summer