Several Poems from this Summer

Here are a few of poems that I've written this summer.


A Butterfly Among the Greats


The day began cold.

I was out in it too early

Or maybe I was there just right.

Sitting in my chair

They spoke of the greats

But I, listening with only half an ear

Was thinking about small things

And the consequences of a cold day.

My light sweater with its brown buttons

Was certainly perfect for you then.

I sat as still as I could

Hoping the sun and the heat of that 

Haven would save you.

They talked of men and heroes

The weak among the brave.

They talked of the divine love

And of the wings to be got.

But I only thought of protecting

The delicate pair that you already had.

It was already so perfect

This short life that you lived:

The isolated transformation

You, getting your wings.

I think Plato would have approved.

So was it really so bad that I only thought then, 

Of you?

To live another day: 

That was my hope for you. 

            You did revive. 

I cannot remember the words being said then,

But I remember your delicate motion 

As you left me for the skies.

A small thing brought back to life among the greats.

           You know, I think you’re a little bit like me. 

7.1.21


The Sidewalk


The sidewalk stretched before me

Just like it did the first time I walked down it

Like no time had passed.

I felt the sun and the smoke

Hazy afternoon in summer.

Something choked and distant

Even though my presence was physical.

Something about the memory is clearer than the truth.

Something about the first time 

Is something never lost.

I traced my steps in less time

My legs were longer.

Something about the first time 

Was the basis for familiarity.

Did I miss the sidewalk, too?

No. I don’t think I did.

The familiarity did not bring homesickness. 

It is the familiar soul that one will miss. 

The sidewalk has no soul.

Physical places, what do they mean? 

It is the heart that matters, 

It is the mind that connects

It is the human that I remember.

Yes, something about the sidewalk was familiar.

And I walked on.

7.5.21


Beauty in a Rainstorm


Sunset Run


My Delicate Friend



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Posture of Surrender

July

Coffee and Summer